Old 11-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #338
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States
Re: Ueshiba's Aiki

Quote:
Ken McGrew wrote: View Post
Greg and Fred,

Ellis hasn't told us what Dobson Sensei allegedly rejected in the book (and in general) related to the importance of blending with momentum. I
It is a fundamental category error to treat a work of pop psychology, intended as an advertisement for bookings on the self-help seminar circuit, as a technical manual.

It is, similarly, an utterly ungrounded supposition to assert that either Greg or I categorically "favor the personal experience over other forms of evidence."

I trained at Bond Street years after Terry and Ellis departed. For better or worse, I've got most of the canvas that was on the deck when Terry came back to teach one last set of classes at Bond Street after many years away, and those classes were the limit of my direct experience with the man.

That said, even as someone who trained at Bond Street years after Terry and Ellis departed, the all-too-frequent experience of encountering individuals with very partial views of what Terry was about putting that partial knowledge through additional filters to arrive at highly idiosyncratic readings of "what Terry really meant," has become so very, very familiar that it has to rise to a particular level to call for a response, however futile.

FL