View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 07:06 AM   #12
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany
Re: Returning Student

Quote:
Jamie Julien wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I can't wait. I will get a new gi. Hope to see everyone at a seminar or something!
Sorry, Jamie, I am late.
I'd advise you to keep the old one. Maybe it recalls some of the techniques, you have forgotten.

And you should better start as a new beginner - who hopefully learns quickly. You probably know the techniques and your ukemi, but you are not used to effectively do it.

When I came back after a break of several years, everything seemed to be right. My partners were not the aiki-dancers, I was used to , but grapplers, who just started aikido, my ukemi was probably not as round as it should be but worked rather well.

But after the second training session, I could not lift my arms, I even had problems to get my water bottle to my mouth. It was such a pain. My techniques were not perfect, so I used more power than I should have done, and my muscles - especially some of the very small ones in the shoulder joint - were not used to more than lifting telephone speakers. So they were totally overburdened and it needed one to two months to get them on track.

So start slowly. There is no need to show someone how good you still are. They can realise it even a few weeks later.

So welcome back.

Dirk