View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003, 07:07 AM   #73
RichardWilliams
Dojo: Taunton Takke Musu Aikido
Peter, please try not to be so hostile. Please do not simply label my quote as a red herring without bothering to see if what i said is correct or not, or without waiting for all of the facts!

You appear to be jumping to the conclusion that i'm talking rubbish without waiting for me to add to what i've already said.

And if you'd have read my first post you would (possibly) have realised that i want to share my sources with everybody who is interested as better understanding of Qi would be a great benefit to us all. So PLEASE do not accuse me of playing 'i know something you don't'!

Ok, you would like me to quote one scientific study that supports Qi... how about several quotes of studies that support Qi, from different angles and different disciplines? This is something i will gladly do.

I am currently at work and do not have this information to hand, but this weekend i will add a further post. I hope you can wait until then.

The thing about the discussion of Qi is that there are many different view points about many different manifestations of Qi. In the martial arts like Aikido, Hapkido, Tae Kwon-Do, and Karate, from my experience, the Qi argument takes the form of using mysterious powers to overcome an opponent. Of course, this approach to Qi is riddled with myth both old and modern. There is a lot said about Qi from this angle that is blatantly untrue.

The subject of Qi is also addressed in Chinese arts such as Tai Chi. Here the understanding of Qi becomes a little more refined, and (in my opinion) a lot more accurate.

Qi is also (much more widely) addressed from the angle of health, longevity, self-healing and healing of others. It is in this area that by far the most complete work has been done on better understanding Qi. What i've found is that if you read as much as you can about Qi and healing (for example, read a good book on Qigong) you will begin to develop a firm basis for your understanding of what Qi really is. With this understanding you can then return to the many questions that started your interest in Qi, such as the questions of martial application. The answers can then become much more focused and accurate and the myths can be sorted out from the reality.

Personally, i have read quite a lot of work on this subject from different disciplines. I have also recently begun practising Qigong. I can testify to the real physical changes that take place in the human body through Qi work.

Qi is a truly fascinating thing. I know i don't have anyway near all the answers, and i am still trying to learn more and more, but from where i've reached at the moment i know it is something that must be treated with the correct degree of respect.

For me, my initial interest was in trying to understand the mysterious feats that i kept reading about. Perhaps even a little bit of wild fantasy that i may even be able to repeat those feats myself (now that's stupid, i know).

However, as i've read more and more, Qi has become a very simple thing, along with a very simple goal. For me, i now wish to forget all the martial stuff that once inticed me to this subject. My interest has turned into: Practise Qigong, improve my health, learn how Qi can be used heal others, and hopefully live a longer, fitter, happier life. That's not a bad set of ambitions to have is it?

R.