View Single Post
Old 02-26-2003, 01:02 PM   #67
ikkainogakusei
Hi Kelly

Quote:
Kelly Allen wrote:
Actually the analogy was my 300lb brother laying/sitting in his recliner. And my 175 lb. sensei standing normally, as though waiting for a bus or something to that effect. The only dropping of center was done mentally (projecting KI downward).
Uh, I guess a further explanation of why it can't be easily explained is in order. You see we could do a biomechanical study of the stance your sensei takes, but it would require close visual inspection, and likely some measurement. If he was acted upon (maybe pushed?), and we had a few highly expensive force plates in order to measure each foot, and the pressure exerted and distributed, we might be able to see a small portion of what goes on. However we couldn't so easily see the torsion on each individual joint throughout the body and how he responds.

What about from a neuromotor control perspective? Well EMG monitoring can give a peek at what some muscle fibers do within a muscle, but are not effective at measuring the whole muscle, so distribution of force through muscles in response might be a task. Then we could try a functional MRI and examine the brain's response, or if we can find a really big FMRI machine maybe we could examine the functional responses of all the cells in the body, but I don't know if that's been done before.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I probably couldn't get enough information over the internet to give you an appropriate response. Certainly, I would love to get the funding to do studies on many of the mysteries of Ki, but that'd be tough, and expensive.
Quote:
Kelly Allen wrote:
As for the Reike I may have spelled it wrong. Mike Lee can attest to my bad spelling. Sorry! Reike in short is a form of healing similar to Kiatsu. Not sure if I spelled that right either. But rather than useing the tips of one thumb or fingers. The practitioner uses the whole hand and does not necessarily touch the person he/she is attempting to heal. These practitioners are reputed to have their hands increase in tempuature dramatically while preforming their healing.
The only study I know of was done by an elementary school aged girl who had a blind test done. She had people put their hands through a blind and asked them which hand was being sent chi energy. The correct response was given less than 40% of the time. This is less than a chance guess. It was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Now, I don't know who was 'sending' the chi, and I don't know the agenda of the person judging the scientific accuracy of the study, but this is the only study I know of.

There are people who specialize in integrating CAMs (complimentary and alternative medicines) into the standard treatment of patients who can afford it, but my background is kinesiology, so I am not as familiar with the CAM application.

Wish I could help further.