View Single Post
Old 02-25-2003, 11:51 AM   #64
kensparrow
Dojo: Methuen Aikido
[quote=I see a lot of confusion in people without extensive direct experience doing science in how they conceive science as merely today's new religion. I must forcefully disagree. Science is not a religion. Both science and religion are attempts to find larger patterns and meaning in reality. But the scientific method does not dictate necessary social behaviour or custom.[/QUOTE]Not that this has anything to do with Aikido but I have to disagree that science is not a religion and that the scientific method does not dictate social behavior. Isn't the scientific method a set of rules that anyone who wishes to call themselves a scientist must follow? Doesn't a set of rules that governs how we ask questions influence the answers we find? Doesn't science hold itself up as the only True Path to knowledge?

Godel proved (scientifically ) that any logical system is inherently incomplete and yet science seems to treat this much the way religion treats its internal paradoxes i.e. as a point of faith.

Sounds like religion to me.

Now I think I'll go search for answers in that trancendental moment just before nage dislocates my shoulder.