View Single Post
Old 02-06-2003, 02:37 AM   #54
mike lee
Cool they're full of it!

Quote:
I believe in Ki because I've seen it work but trying to explain is as self defeating as trying to catch a thought with a butterfly net.
I don't think ki is something that one needs to "believe in" like a god, it's just something that we can cultivate in our body to make us stronger and healthier.

For example, a person doesn't need to believe in the internal-combustion engine in order to drive, nor does one need to have a thorough understanding of air-foils in order to fly.

Young people, even in Asia, have a hard time understanding ki because their bodies are literally full of it. (It's like the eye trying to see itself.)

But as we age, aches and pains creep into our bodies for various reasons; previous injuries, rhumatism, etc. The pain we feel is ki trying to flow.

In fact, Chinese doctors say that when we stop feeling pain it means that the problem is in an advanced stage.

Therefore, in Asia, various means are utilized to stimulate the flow of ki in sick or ailing people. Some of the treatments are similar to Western physical therapy. Other treatments can range from meditation (to relax and overcome severe pain), to various physical movements, yoga, accupuncture, moxibustion, etc.

My personal choice is a combination of yoga, meditation, tai chi chuan and aikido sword and jo kata.

An old Zen Buddhist monk once told me that the best way to overcome physical problems is to learn to overcome them one's self, not depending on others.

In the West people often want a quick fix for their problems — a doctor a pill, etc. But they seldom get to the root of the problem, ultimately percipitating even worse illnesses.

For example, why do so many Westerners have headaches, low-back pain and sore feet at the end of the day? Instead of complaining to a doctor, they may want to consider that fact that drinking excessive amounts of coffee has very negative effects on the body, and consiquently the flow of ki. It's too acidic, it constricts the blood vessals, limiting the flow of ki to various parts of the body, especially where the blood vessals are small, like the head. This is not even to mention the fact cafeine make people tense, further restricting the flow of ki in the body.

Add large amounts of red meat and sugar, which also turn acidic during digestion, and people's bodies become hopelessly out of balance.

Please don't get met wrong — I love a good cup of coffee, but if one wants to cultivate ki in the body, six cups a day is a curse.

Alchohol is another story, but that's mainly related to lowering oxygen levels in the blood and flooding the body with sugars.

It's been my experience that the aging process is the best challenge and opportunity to learn about ki. Young people should just be concerned about keeping physically fit, healthy and having a good time — they're already full of ki.

Last edited by mike lee : 02-06-2003 at 02:43 AM.