View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: Tim Cartmell on training, BJJ and traditional CMAs

Nice post. I've had the pleasure of training with Tim Cartmell a few times when he has taught self-defense, BJJ and some CMA in a BJJ context. I'd love to see him in a CMA context as well, but haven't had the chance yet. In my experience, he is just as he appears on the video: soft spoken, articulate and well focused, a physically talented athlete, a well rounded, broadly accomplished and practical martial artist, and a fine teacher consistently delivering crystal clear instruction.

IMO Tim is definitely someone worth learning from if the opportunity presents itself!

Also, if someone were interested in BJJ or MMA yet were a bit hesitant to "jump in" being perhaps wary of a perceived heightened potential for injury due to younger or more aggressive training partners, my experience with Tim is that he runs a calm, controlled, high caliber class with a well thought out balance between sport specific conditioning and precise and highly effective technique (appropriate to the given context whether it is sports application or self defense oriented.) I'm sure he is capable of training folks up to "high octane" interaction, but that, it appears to me, is done incrementally and logically . . . such that when one is in a "high octane" interaction one is still applying high quality technique, which is what makes Tim Cartmell a good teacher to my mind.

~ Allen Beebe