View Single Post
Old 01-29-2001, 01:05 PM   #5
REK
Quote:
sceptoor wrote:
Furthermore, they talk about "standing grappling" in their Aikido(read the Journal section of their website). To me, grappling is NOT Aikido in any way, shape, or form.
I respect all forms of Martial Arts, so this is not an attempt to condescend Judo or any other form of MA, I'm just saying , all styles of Aikido may very a little bit, but Aikido is still Aikido, and Judo is still Judo, and so on, and so on, AND IT SHOULD REMAIN THAT WAY. I hope that didn't open a can of worms.....sorry if I offended any one, that's certainly not my intention.
I think I understand your sentiment, but we tend to adhere to something our shihan said several years ago: Aikido is the wrist and all other styles the fingers. I took that to mean that if you study Aikido, you will have intuitive knowledge that would help in any other style, not that Aikido was the ultimate martial art (please, god let's not get into that again). So why not a few sessions of ground work, sparring, kicking, screaming, running, cussing, shooting or whatever helps you realize all the ways Aikido can affect your understanding of other things?

(insert sound of a can of worms closing)

Rob