Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France
Re: My Spiritual Aikido.

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
?
How does it show that?

Thoughts about enemies or not, being different person, and so on may root in a certain worldview. But is there one certain worldview connected unseperable to aikidô?
And if so: Why isnt't it tought in the dôjô?
And how come that people with completely different worldviews can practice together?
Af if there is taught a certain worldview in the dôjô where does it stemm from? The students of Ueshiba told that he didn't teach a certain religion (not even ômoto kyo), philosophy or spiritulity to be necessary to learn aikidô. So from where and when does this come in if someone teaches it on the mat?

I appreciate your view of aikidô, and I try to accept the view of Graham. If it works for you, this is fine with me. I think this is most important in life that people find their own way, a way the can follow and lead a "good" life.
But looking at my experiences on and off the mat and refering to my reading not only about aikidô, for me it is very clear, that this is your view of aikidô and the world. But that it is not universal, absolute. As no truth is. We always see only our section of the world. We don't see the word "as it is".

Obviously yes. Maybe not if only refering to a christian worldview. In a daoist understanding the body clearly is kind of vehicle and provides a gateway into the spiritual.

To me aikidô means using the body, kneading the body, practicing with the body, experiencing changes of the body, development ...
And experiencing how all this affects my "spiritual" Dimension in some way.
O Sensei did not teach religion as such. As far as I know I have never heard that O Sensei tried to convince anyone to become a member of Oomoto kyo.
Most of his students were raised in a Japanese setting, which included Shinto. In general there is much less conversion going on there then in for instance Christianity. Neither is there a problem with being a Shinto believer and a Buddhist. It is sort of all including and there is no need to switch to a particular group, unless one feels a personal need to do so.
As for non-Japanese; they can not become members of the Oomoto kyo. Most Shinto kannushi see Shinto as an indigenous religion. They will most of the time urge you to pursue your own indigenous religion. This idea was in a similar way also expressed in macrobiotics; only eat what in your own region can be grown.
O Sensei must have just assumed that his students were aware of there own indigenous believes.

Tom