View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 02:05 PM   #23
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Disclosure of information on the net

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Why bother making an assumption? Why not toddle on over there and check him out for yourself?

Again, sure you can find out if they are any good. Just toddle on down the road and check it out.

If an instructor doesn't give out rank on the internet, but is upfront on issues of rank and lineage in person, I have no problems with them. If they don't give that information out in person...then I might have a serious issue with training there.

If they give out their rank on the internet, but won't say who gave them that rank...that I would have an issue with.

Best,
Ron
If they won't tell me their rank by internet, is phone ok? How about written letter? Why does it have to be in person?

To me the internet is a form of communication. I use it like a phone, postal mail, store front, dictionary, etc. I have precious little time in my life to drive to a school to get info which may be less than satisfactory. I guess my question is, what is so different about the internet? I simply can't see how giving rank on the internet is different then giving rank in person? I can only come up with two reasons.
1) They don't want to field questions from people they may never have physical contact with. If this is the case, I would suggest not having an internet presence.
2) They have something to hide. To me saying "I dont give that information out on the internet" is the same as saying "i was sworn to secrecy when I learned the ancient art of ninja in the mountains of china".

For such a simple thing to answer, and for something so many people profess tells us nothing about their skill, they are very hesitant to give it out. Is it really that private and secret? Are you that afraid it will change a persons persepctive about you? If that is the case, they we have just proven its imprtantance. Otherwise we have proven people are too lazy to type 4th dan.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein