View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #171
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Dan, Mike, and Aikido

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Tohei has them, it would appear, but could he release power in the way that Ueshiba could do it? I'm not sure, either way.
Coming out of retirement for this bit now that the thread has moved. I'm not sure that the release of power you talk about is actually necessary to execute the waza commonly found in aikido. I'd need to spend a loooong time messing with it to begin to have an idea for sure and I'm mostly guessing from the point of view of my experience, but I think that it would be fair to say that if Tohei didn't have it, it's because he didn't train for it because he didn't need it. Whether it is actually needed to execute effective aikido waza is an entirely different and distinct debate and is related to other issues raised around here.

It would certainly chime a chord with Tohei saying that he only kept 30% of the techniques. Maybe he couldn't make the other 70% work without it? Who knows....

Regards

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr