Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Non-Japanese Shihans?

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Peter:

Since the Shimbun is not in English, how do us non-Japanse speaking find out who is promoted?
Hello John,

To add to my earlier post, I should add that the dan promotions are listed in the "Aikido Shimbun" exactly as they are written on the application, or as near as the English skills of those in the Aikikai office will allow. Occasionally first names and family names are mixed up, for example. So, anyone who looks at the last page will immediately recognize the name of their favourite non-Japanese shihan, for example. However, to my knowledge shihan promotions are not made public. At some point during kagami-biraki\I think before the party begins, the list of dan promotions is unveiled, to the oohs and aahs of the participants. The new shihan are not included in this ceremony. I do not know why, but perhaps it is thought to be a matter for the shihan and his/her organization. In any case, becoming a shihan is not really such a big deal in Japan.

What I want to stress here is that the Aikikai is still fundamentally a Japanese-style organization and is simply not geared to providing regular English news bulletins at all, let alone on a web site. Thus there is no one who will automatically think of sending the latest dan promotions or shihan awards around the world via the Internet.

Personally, I think this is not a good situation, but people like Hombu administrators\and Japanese university administrators for that matter\have not got to the stage where the Internet IN ENGLISH is their first call for disseminating or exchanging information. My own university has made great progress, but the Hombu still lags far behind. On the other hand, you would be surprised at the number of IAF member-organisations with which it is virtually impossible to communicate via e-mail.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury