View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #33
Cliff Judge
Japan
Re: "IP/IT/IS" vs technique?

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
There's no reason to believe anybody responds spontaneously to anything. It's a contradiction in terms.
How are you defining these terms? I've got response as "a reaction to a stimulus" and spontaneous as "uncontrived and unplanned".

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
By the way, "Technique, IMO." It does someone no good to respond with movements that don't work. If you are ultra quick at doing poor wristlocks, what good is it?

My point here is that these are advanced concepts, and I don't think anybody can put them to much benefit unless they have trained their body to do the techniques right FIRST. You don't get to be O Sensei by just doing what he did last. It took him 75 years to get that good.
To get you up to speed on the last thirty years of this argument, there are basically a bunch of people who don't believe that Osensei actually spent much time at all making his techniques work. He spent that time training in more esoteric modalities, and these gave him certain skills which allow his techniques to work much better than they could if he had spent time training techniques.

I personally advocate kata training, but I think the point of kata based training in Aiki arts is to give you a vehicle by which you develop the special skills without thinking about it.