View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #228
Buck
United_States
Re: The continued Evolution of Aikido

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote:
...lest it goes underground and is taught in basements and back yards, etc..?
History has shown us this is a very successful way for martial arts. I think the concern here is not size, but appeal. Aikido appeals to allot of different people-and there are those it doesn't. Aikido will and does appeal to people in a whole lots of different ways, ya know.

Now for those who decide to stick with Aikido, ya know finding a personal value to them, there a variety of different dojos to fit them. For example, some dojos teach strictly to the needs of women, others teach strictly to the esoteric, there are some that are strictly traditional, some attract large groups and others small, and everything in between. With these facts, I am not sure how what you said is a bad thing. The goal of Aikido isn't about a massive business plan, and I don't think that is evolution.

It is a matter of what we place our value on, is it Aikido, or is it something else. If it is something else concerns arise. Like,"oh my gosh, Aikido is becoming going the way of the dinosaur there isn't a dojo on every corner next to X martial arts studio and StarBucks." Aikido is a classic, and has and will stand the test of time because it has and will appeal to a wide variety of people's interest no matter where it is taught.

Last edited by Buck : 12-12-2008 at 03:54 PM.