View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Please help - got injured badly in aikido 2 days ago.worried I can't do aikido fu

I had the same injury many years ago. It healed with immobilization and then physical therapy. My range of motion is somewhat reduced with that shoulder and I still have the ugly lump, but I don't even notice the old injury when I train. I hope you have the same kind of success.

One of my dojomates was injured a few months ago during a black belt test and suffered a much more serious A/C separation. His required surgery and physical therapy. His doctor says that he can resume training any time now and should have no lasting effects. He's been off the mat since summer and the healing process is slow.

The bottom line is that you can heal and get back to your normal life if you are patient. Just follow your doctor's orders, do the physical therapy and don't rush back into anything that will set back the healing. In the meantime, continue to attend classes and watch from the sidelines. You'll still learn a lot, will enjoy being part of your dojo, and will keep the habit of attending class ingrained.

Good luck!

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."