View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #38
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: 105) Aikido- Martial Arts Hidden Within: June 2013

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Although the waza in your aikido are not designed to not hurt, nevertheless "not to harm or to do as little harm as is necessary" seems to be an aim that is inherent to your aikidō?
No Carsten, it's not an aim or goal, it's a choice. "not to harm or to do as little harm as is necessary", runs the full gamut of responses to an attack, up to and including the use of lethal force if necessary.

Quote:
This is not the case in my practice. I have never heard that aikidō is about "not to harm, or do as little harm as is necessary, to the attacker" in my context. This has never been part of the teaching of aikidō in my biography. The aikidō I learned is simply not concerned with the physical health of an attacker.
Well different strokes for different folks and all that...

Quote:
While it is very concerned about how to deal with uke as someone who lays his physicall health in tori's hands and allows him to use his body as a feedback. So the intention of practice on the tatami is to help each other grow.
But uke is not an attacker.
Yes, practice on the mat is to foster the growth of all parties. And I agree, on the mat uke is not an attacker.

Ron