View Single Post
Old 02-12-2005, 07:18 AM   #11
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: any training tips or advice

Hi Robert

What a great story and what a gift you are to each other. I have respect for anyone whatever age, that chooses to step on to the mat, as it can take alot of courage for the first step. Your young student sounds as if she has that by the bucket load. I believe your teaching 'career' has been given a special start, as you are being forced to adapt what is normally taken for granted so that she can participate. No matter how long she practices with you, I'm sure the experience will always be with you and that it will enhance you ability to convey the art to all your students whatever their ability.

My first teacher had a disability ( a childhood illness left him with stick like legs and after many operations seized up feet and ankles ) that left him with virtually no lower body strength. He through much focus and practice, developed an awsome aikido, which I gained a great deal from being on the receiving end of!

I'm convinced that aikido should be more widely offered to those who would not normally think of taking an MA due to their perceived 'disadvantage'.

Good luck to you and your fiesty charge.

regards, Mark