View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 01:29 AM   #26
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom
Re: The Empty Body

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Koichi Tohei, Morihei Ueshiba, Kodo Horikawa, Yukiyoshi Sagawa, etc. all demonstrated what were essentially very similiar things. Where are the Tempukai guys demonstrating those things?

Tohei later claimed to have learned little from Ueshiba - but I wonder if that was true, or it was just part of the dance of hurt feelings that went back and forth among the involved parties.

It was my impression that the Tempukai provided the framework through which Tohei understood (as much as he did) Ueshiba's "stuff", not that it provided the "stuff" itself, but opinions will certainly vary.

Best,

Chris
I stand corrected. Perhaps I have been confused by what Tohei himself said after the messy split from the Aikikai.

It is fascinating, though, that many aikido teachers have found deeper understanding of what they were taught through training with other teachers. One example that springs to mind is how the kesa-giri of Kashima Shinryu profoundly influenced Yamaguchi Sensei's aikido (and that of his students). Also perhaps Tamura Sensei's latterday exposure to Tetsuzan Kuroda, as described in Leo Tamaki's article.

Alex