View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #42
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Yoshinkan and "aiki"

Oh ok, I think I know what you are talking about now. In reference to the elbow power...uke's physical reaction more has to do with how tight he is holding on. The tight uke hold's on, and the more energy he puts into grab, the more shite's movement will effect uke. I don't mean to speak of things you already know, but that's about the best way I can describe it. I can't speak of IS, but aligning shite's body correctly while doing the technique at the proper angles will seriously compromise uke's balance. That's pretty much how we explain it. Another unique thing about Yoshinkan aikido, that you may not be able to see in the vids, is that uke is almost always either pulling or pushing in grab techniques. Number 1 variations of basic grabbing attacks has uke pulling, while number 2 variations have uke pushing. This makes a pretty big difference in how the technique plays out...which may explain why there is so much movement (on uke's part) vice so little movement on shite's part and the rather static attacks in Yoshinkan aikido (ie we don't step forward in grabs...and only shuffle forward for most strikes).

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!