View Single Post
Old 06-02-2003, 08:46 PM   #6
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
Re: the wado perspective

Quote:
Igor Asselbergs (kodia) wrote:
-Could this have happened in any Aikido dojo?
An odd question... I suppose so, but it really depends on the people and skill involved. Maybe sensei was having a "bad day".
Quote:
-Could what happened be contributed to incompetence (of the sensei)?
Quite possibly. I'd rather say inexperience.
Quote:
-Is it normal in Aikido for ukemi to ‘cooperate' into torimi's technique?
For beginners, I encourage a little help from uke. After the first test, I stop unless a point needs clarification. I would hope a shodan or above would not need a "gimme".
Quote:
-What's with ‘Aikido is not a martial art'? Then what is it?, aerobics for the new age?
I know this defense. The sensei's ego was horribly damaged. Sensei then attempts to displace peoples' thoughts by giving them something bigger to chew on, thus 'proving' although he didn't do a technique, he is still 'wise'.
Quote:
-Sure Aikido has no atemi (why not?) but most agressors DO use atemi. So why not be prepared for it?
In our dojo (like many others), we use atemi quite often, as it is a great way to try and take control of a situation. 99% of the time we don't actually make contact, but I like to throw in that 1% to keep students on their toes. Heheh

I feel bad for this sensei, but hopefully s/he won't be too embarrassed, but realize what a valuable lesson was learned -- train train train. If your techniques aren't realistic, then you have a hard time showing people the benefit of knowing aikido on-and-off-the-mat.

*Phil

Last edited by PhilJ : 06-02-2003 at 08:59 PM.

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com