View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #40
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Akuzawa Sensei Seminar in the DC Area/Aunkai

Thanks for the clarification Mike.

Actually I agree with your assessment of things. I think we do assess things differently.

I agree with your first paragraph, I think you can make a martial assessment and extrapolate application. However, I think it requires you to have a certain amount of experience in that particular area to make that assessment. Without it, and the abiilty to demonstrate it, then it is simply conjecture.

Obviously, you have a broad background martially and are able to make that assessment for yourself.

From my perspective, I see value in training in this way, and have some experience martially, yet not enough in training this way to really say how it will help me, although I think it will.

To a degree I have to operate a little on faith and patience to see if it does. Two weekend seminars certainly don't give me enough experience to make a fully qualified judgement in this area, so all I can do is say I think the investment will be worth the time, even if I might look critically at how the puzzle pieces might come together.

My point with the cardio analogy was probably not a good one. I am too tired tonight to try and dig myself out of that one.

My point was that the only way to learn how to fight is to replicate that environment with the actual elements as close as possible. That is, you would clinch, punch and kick for example...at full speed or near full speed. You can't do this by running, breathing exercises, or working the suit...you do it by replicating the conditions.

Ark did work some kicking and punching drills that were very clever. They were designed to reprogram the way we do that. Good stuff and I think they would go along way to improving your ability and maybe doing it differently.

However, those drills would need to be taken further and not be one sided. The other guy would have to be able to punch and kick back and we would have to introduce the clinch, takedowns etc for it to train all the other elements in fighting.

I can't judge how Ark does this in his training as Ark did not include this in the seminar. So I can not judge how well he integrates this into his more advanced classes. It was clear to me that Ark has spent some time mixing it up.

At the basic level though, it seems that the focus is developing a "martial base" first which i good. Many arts skip this point, and as I have already admitted, you guys have showed me where I have some tremendous gaps.

Yea I agree that it is "kick butt" test is important to me to a degree. I want the person I am studying with to be able to show me application and help me integrate it. My job and career have me wired that way where it is important that my practice is integrated into what I do.

On the other hand, just the simple fact that I am impressed with the demonstration of posture, power, and movement for the sake of doing it. All you guys CLEARLY have abilities and control that I don't and if for no other reason than being able to stand up straight out of my chair at age 80 without assistance then I'd say it is worthwile.

Mike, I agree that we see things some what different, but then again you have years of experience, wisdom, and perspective that I don't have, so that might account for the differences.

I am alright with that and have a great deal of respect for what you do and what you bring to the community.