View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #101
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: How to be non-competitive in a competitive world

Andrew, your example of irimi nage. No issues with the example. However, you say you can CHOOSE peace in the moment. Sure, that is compassion. However, it does not, IMO, demonstrate the elimination of the competitive mind. It demonstrates that nage acknowledges the situation and responds to it appropriately and chooses to be ethical somewhere on the spectrum.

However, lets back up a little. Why should nage engage at all? If he is not trying to preserve something important to him (competition) then why would he need to do anything? Why not stand there and simply accept uke's will imposed on him?

On religion: I think you are correct in your statements about most organized religions dealing in the future and on fear. However, there are religious institutions and practices that do "preach" on the concept of present mind. I do however, think you are generally correct in your take on this.

I appreciate your example of how you believe Aikido fulfills this "missing part of religion". For me, however, as a somewhat Non-religious person as would be consider by the average "religious" person, it is detached from religion and really has nothing to do with religion whatsoever. However, everyone is free to find spiritual and religious meaning where ever they find it.

I do agree that it is a requirement to be in the present in Budo as well. However, budo also is concerned about the past and future as well.