View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #623
jss
Netherlands
Re: Is It Missing In Everybody's Aikido?

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
There are stories about Wang Xiangzhai calling himself "old man contradiction", because he advocated arriving at formlessness through methods. The Yaos have their methods, and other different practicioners of yiquan have different methods yet again.
I just hope all those people have some very good reasons to use their specific methods to acquire their formlessness, because as every post-modernist knows: your formlessness is defined by the methods you used to acquire it.

Quote:
The method of using stances and movements arises precisely because no fixed external loading pattern can recreate the variety and rapidness of movements that need to be trained.
I think you're underestimating gymnasts. And most Muay Thai fighters seem to do fine in this respect without the stances and the movements of Yiquan, anyhow. So I still don't get what makes Yiquan's form of coordination superior.

Quote:
My teacher really liked Olympic weight lifting, and I had another fellow student of my teacher who liked to use kettlebell lifts. Yiquan was meant to encompass whatever methods get you to the goal, not to be exclusive of them.
Weight lifting won't get you there, in my opinion.

Quote:
Given the recent experience I had with Dan, I now feel that where yiquan leads is sort of a 180 from where aikido leads, and that it is probably not a good example to hold up of training that would need to be reincorporated within aikido.
I don't know your Yiquan and I don't know Dan's methods, but if they don't build on the same foundation skills (and body), at least one of them is wrong.