View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 02:30 AM   #83
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Tales of Judo Sparring Aikidoists

Quote:
aries Navy wrote:
When I was still very new with Aikido one from our class asked our Sensei regarding an Aikidoka sparring with a Judoka. His replywas simple, WHOSE RULE? Then the student replied, why, is this important? Of course, came the reply. If they dont allow ATEMIS I will not advise that you do it. With Atemis a Judoka will have hard time with an Aikidoka.
Someone already mentioned that randori is practice - there is no winner or looser although usually it is clear who dominates. With this in mind randori can, by mutual agreement, diverge from strict shiai rules.

Judo randori is pretty rough and tumble and in my experience because of this Judoka have an easier time shrugging off discomfort than those that don't partake it. I would say the strike must be pretty effective to prevent the Judoka from closing if that is what he wants to do. One thing about randori and sparring in general is that there is fear to overcome - once managed atemi is minor and more importantly strikes are pretty basic to use. Nothing stopping a Judoka from using his own. The same applies to an Aikidoist going after a PK guy - if you resign yourself to taking a hit all sorts of possibilities open up.

It is the rough and tumble nature of Judo practice that is one of the major benefits for Aikidoists.

However, I agree that which rules you play under have a major say in the outcome if an outcome is what you are after.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido