View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Shiro Omiya Shihan on "Aiki"

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Man, what I'm going to say is going to sound like an attack, and personal, but it's not. If we're going to look at lineage, and teachers, this becomes valid, because we can't have it both ways. If you're going to claim one guy must be wrong because of his credentials, then you'll have to look at everyones credentials.

You reference Dan all the time Chris Li. Dan's credentials are at least as spotty as Omiya's. I know of one high ranking Daito ryu teacher that Dan studied under. If you ask that teacher directly about Dan, he won't give you a reply, he changes the subject. So if you're going to uphold Dan, and say we shouldn't look at his teachers and lineage as a reference, then you can't turn around and attack someone else's credentials, especially if you don't have the whole story.

I'm okay with looking at lineage, if that's what we want to do, I'm okay with not looking at lineage and just looking at some one's work, but we can't play both sides.
Well, you can think what you like, I was just relating some information. Omiya may be a perfectly nice fellow, once you meet him, but I have my doubts. Since you have even less information than I do about him I'd think that you might find it useful, especially since you're the one that originally brought up "credentials" by citing him as a "Daito ryu expert".

The situation with Dan is completely different - he's here, and accessible, if you haven't been careless enough to slam the door at some point, and he's perfectly open about his lineage if you talk to him in person. Other people have crossed over his lineage and corroborate it. I've seen the same things he's saying and doing come independently from other Daito-ryu and Aikido sources. There's just too much there for it to be "spotty".

Best,

Chris