View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #43
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States
Re: my sensei "video clip"

Quote:
Adam Alexander wrote: View Post
Some of us like that type of technique. I'd of never started Aikido if my first exposure was Ki or most Aikikai I've seen. You say that it's not necessary, I say I'd of never got on the bus had I not seen hard techniques as my first introduction.

I'm not anywhere near what I'd call an ideal person, but I've been made better than I was because of Aikido. Had I jumped on board with one of the other local arts that were hard, I'd of been totally lead astray. Maybe those of us who really need Aikido in our lives are best served by the techniques that appear the hardest.

That's my experience. If those uke had an issue, they're big boys, they'd move on.
I actually agree with you - because to me, there is a big difference between hard throws/techniques, and abuse/brutality. I have nothing to say about people liking hard techniques, that's their perogative. Nothing wrong there in my book. But if what you are saying - and I don't think you are - is that you needed the throw to end in what is to me an unnecessary movement that can cause a concussion, then I would say that's something to look at.

Yoshinkan, like almost any style of Aikido, can be done really hard - nothing wrong with that - or it can be done brutally - something is wrong with that for me.

Lastly, I've seen people taken in by Aikido instructors many times - en mass in fact. Some of them otherwise quite intelligent people. That to me doesn't mean that they will know what is really in their best interest and follow it....

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido