View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Churchill92
Dojo: HydePark Aikido
United_States
Is this Aikido? Purple Dragon Style

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Now for the longest time I've been a fan of Aikido, yet I didn't know it. Coming from my old Greco-Roman wrestling days of HS and college I wanted something similar to what I was doing but with a more edge toward self-defense, with a focus on DEFENSE. I wanted to defend myself and those around me and not be some jumping around like bruce lee punching everything in sight. No, I wanted it where they came onto me and I just caused them enough pain to make them go away without resorting to spinning roundhouse kicks. My 6'1 200lb frame just doesn't do well like that.

Which led me to Purple dragon Don Jitsu.

http://www.purple-dragon.com/

It's a Trinidad/carribean based martial arts that blends Judo, Aikido, Jiu Jitsu all into one overall fighting system. It's a mostly Jiu Jitsu program with Judo grapple/throws and Aikido locks/holds/bars

Now I'm in an Aikido program there, have been for over a year. Stricltly just the Aikido side of the program, I don't punch or kick allot. I have to learn a bit, never know when it's needed but the same basics of holds, bars, break falls, all apply.

The techniques I'm learning are numbered differently, tested differently, but the moves are very very close to what I've seen in videos, demonstrations, seminars. I don't think I could walk into a room, you tell me the name of the move and me do it. I would shrug and watch as you do something and then I say "Ahh it's technique 12!"

Belts are traditional White, yellow, orange, etc->Black/Hakama. I asked my Sensei about this and told him Aikido doesn't do belts and his response was "It's mostly to show where you are in the teachings when/if another instructor comes they will know how proficient you are just by looking at the color of your belt and where you stand in rank order in class." I was one of those that wanted to wear white forever, a pride thing I know, but when he said that I figured what the heck and put on my new belts.

Now after reading these boards for a long time I've come up with a few questions.

1. Anyone else practice this style?
2. Is this Aikido in one form, style, or another?
3. Is this an Accredited transferable style? i.e. take my skills from one school to another.
4. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

After reading on here and doing searches I think 1 is probably a no. 2 I feel is yes but curious. 3. I think is a no, but interested.

If anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask. I go down next week to train at the main campus in Port of Spain, Trinidad. The Professor asked for me personally to come down and train at their main HQ when he saw me during testing (he has to approve our belts personally so he travels to every dojo twice a year). Out of 100 students I was the only one asked. I'll be Uke for the black belts if he feels I can handle it when they do their testing on Sat/Sunday as it's a 48hr testing period. Great learning experience and worth the trip even though getting a pass port was a nightmare.

Looking forward to responses Good/Bad/Other