Old 12-18-2001, 06:58 AM   #56
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Re: Re: Aikido in Sweden

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Goldsbury

Mr Blomquist,

Thank you for your account of the changing fortunes of the Aikikai in Sweden.
My pleasure, though there may be historical faults in my review.
Quote:
I have a very clear memory of a meeting held in France in the late 1970s, where the two Japanese instructors from Sweden (who did not communicate with each other at all) were separated by the chairman of the Aikikai organisation. I found this astonishing. Later, I myself was involved in some of the later correspondence with the Aikikai Hombu, when the situation was 'frozen'.
I find this very interesting (the senseis was seperated!? why?) and would like to hear more about this event. If you find it too off topic you could drop me a mail.
Quote:
I think that the present situation in Sweden is a major success story and is a model for other national organisations to follow. I think, however, that the good result is due to the fact that Swedish aikidoka themselves took the initiative and devised a formula which was good for Sweden.
I agree! Hombu Dojo and IAF seem to find the Swedish way a good one, and IAF are going to have its annual congress, for the first time off Nihon grounds! in Stockholm, no less! Guess who's going to be there? Are you?

Cheers!

Jakob Blomquist