View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 05:29 AM   #21
Charlie

Re: Tenkan on piece of paper

Quote:
Olaf Schubert wrote:
Well,
on the street, when I walk I always lift one foot at a time, step forward with it (yes, during that motion all the weight is on the back foot) - and guess what, I don't need to shift weight/hips back to the back foot in order to be able to lift the other foot for taking the step. WIthout any thinking, the hips is moving forward constantly. I don't know about you guys, but I guess that's how you walk, too. Why would be movement in Aikido anyway different - especially considering that natural movement is the ideal we strive for?!
Just a thought
Olaf
Didn't know we where talking about walking forward. Thought the poster was talking about turning. I don't recall any of MY teachers saying anything about taking a normal walking step during the course of tenkan/tai no henko (2). As a matter of fact, there has always been discussion as to taking a shuffle type step where the back foot comes up fast behind the leading foot when advancing.

Of course I failed to mention this because I noticed that the original poster is from the Ki society. As it is, I come from the Yoshinkan side of the family so I refrained from drawing a comparison between our different way of doing things.

Anyway...was trying to get a picture in my head as to how one can turn on the front foot with their weight shifted to their back foot. Sounds to me like stepping -not turning.

That being said...there are a lot of things that change in the course of having to perform techniques "on the street". Giving up my stable posture for one that is shifting is not what I'm looking for. However, I don't plan on being able to turn like I do in the dojo either.

Charles Burmeister
Aikido Yoshinkan Yoseikai

"Calmness is trust in action"