View Single Post
Old 02-24-2002, 11:18 PM   #12
guest1234
OK, if you stand a few more suggestions from a somewhat smaller person:

Depending on your uke, they may be able to tell you what they felt you do, providing verbal feedback is allowed in your dojo (if not, this can actually be learned by watching what you just did with them, but it more difficult). I can easily tell the difference in feel between being tossed by a much bigger nage via muscle mass, and being moved via his center to mine. The end result is a fall in both cases, but the feel of what is moving me is sooooo different.

As some have said, it is the feeling of connection of your energy to theirs that you need to find. And before you think 'well, how will I know that feel if I've never felt it', you have. This goes back to working on sensitivity while ukefor a smaller nage: if they are moving you, you should be able to feel how they are doing it---that is the feeling you are looking for when moving someone smaller. If you toss them across the mat, but didn't feel the same connection you had when they threw you, there's a good chance that was muscle you just used.