View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #28
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: Internal (Hunyuan) Strength from a Yi Chuan Perspective

Well, I find it amusing that I was pointing to Fang's interview a while back and was told that it's all crap and was linked to a Bullshido "expose" (quotes for irony) where a guy went and did arm-waving but didn't get his hands on Fang - while denouncing the whole thing . .

I still like Fang's descriptions of how this type of strength is different, involving whole body and it really meshes nicely with a few other ways of looking at internal strength as a whole (from modern spins on classical interpretations as well as my limited understanding of certain classical writings). I don't really like what looks like very "dive bunny" behavior - same thing you see in some DR demos . . it makes it harder to gauge how much someone is doing right so you start looking for what someone wouldn't do, etc.

But all that said . . I think the definitions and discussions are of particular interest (even if some of ideas for "how" to train I might not jibe with as much as "what" is being trained) . . and I think that's the point that is worth shooting towards in talking about internal strength, here . . people getting on the same page that there are optimal benchmarks to train towards with regard to IS . .physical, repeatable skills that can then be applied towards whatever martial art you want (or just general health, whatever) . .