View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #103
edtang
United_States
Re: Ultimate fights expand to include kids

I hasten to add this caveat to my posts - I'm not 100% sure myself that there should be kid's MMA for exhibition (i'm strongly leaning towards no), even though, like I've said, I feel that it's been blown completely out of proportion. Given the facts (without the sensationalist rhetoric and assumptions), I feel that it's hypocritical to be against it and not against other forms of competitive martial arts / sports practiced with just as high if not higher documented injury incident rates than comparable components of MMA that are commonplace activities. I completely understand and can very much empathize with the viewpoint that kids have no business training in it or doing it if the same standards are applied across the board to other competitive activities. I'm simply not convinced that a kid's elbow joints are any safer in football or wrestling as they are having an armbar applied to them with a referee or coach watching them and stopping it when appropriate. And that's from having had hard falls/tackles with accidents nearly happening and having had dozens of armbars applied to me.

But fundamentally, the discussion about it in the news have been overblown. It's not like the vast majority of state athletic commission would ever allow it (for a mix of many valid or invalid reasons), or the UFC would attempt to legitimize it (they're refusing to consider promoting women's MMA at the moment as it is), and that's totally fine by me.

Last edited by edtang : 04-15-2008 at 03:11 PM.