Old 07-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #63
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Making Kote Gaeshi Work - With Resistance

Quote:
Joseph Arriola wrote: View Post
Creating the Opening

When we bring a "new student" into our dojo we teach him to "go with the force". We train him to be compliant...
The really good Sensei incorporates the resistance by "fluidly adapting" and changing the resistance back into compliance. He creates the opening...
I'm hardly an expert, and I might be missing your point, but my understanding is that openings are found, not made. We can lead aite into providing an opening, but it's much like the proverbial horse and water. The premise behind adopting stances, i think, has to do with this idea.
I would also say that when you test your sensei by resisting the initial movement and the sensei then adapts, he's not creating the opening, he's finding a new opening through which to move you into the shape he was originally looking for so he can continue with the rest of the movement he's trying to teach (assuming he doesn't just do something completely different). As far as i can tell, once you have exploited an opening, you can then more or less move uke how you want because their structure is compromised.
As it relates to doing any particular technique, I think it's critical to realize that uke's structure should already be compromised. At first contact it should have begun to erode.

Gambarimashyo!