View Single Post
Old 07-26-2001, 12:55 PM   #33
Jim23
Quote:
Originally posted by Juan Alberto
We aren't talking about beginners or advanced practitioners but the arts themselves. I truley believe that Aikido has the techniques that are able to defend against any attack (except bullets, or projectiles)definately not like in the movies where the MAist never gets touched by one single blow. If you have ever watched a boxing match I would tend to believe that at one time or another you have said to yourself "Why didn't he just hit him with the other hand after missing the stike with the first hand" its called body mechanics when you strike with commitment your body can not change it's initial direction until the momentum has diminished sufficiently. Thats why the jab in boxing is so effective it is mostly a distracting stike. Hence thats why in boxing they are not allowed to GRAB. If you followed that jab back by grabbing it you could do a variety of techniques (shihonage, iriminage...)As for Karate I too have seen guys follow thruogh with a variety of combinations but with the opponent fighting HIS fight (strikes & kicks only)It is so much easier to defend against an attacker that is not expecting you to come into is space while grabbing and turning and lets not forget striking back. The techniques are there I have been in street fights and my Aikido worked (not as pretty looking as in the dojo)I truly believe that if you (anyone)has such doubts about Aikido being effective I would suggest that you don't waste a single minute or penny trainning in an art you don't believe in. I just can't sit back and read posts of supposed AIKIDOKA saying it isn't effective. As for we Aikidoka practice techniques in a choriographed manner...YES we do. Remember we are supposed to be learning the techniques and to properly learn them we must choriograph the attack. In my dojo as you progress in your Aikido training we no longer say to uke "ok shomen attack with the left hand" we just start to move a little quicker. I would also dare to say that if any of your Sensei read most of the post here they would be greatly saddned.

Sincerely,

Juan Alberto

"The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit".
"Morihei Ueshiba"
Juan,

I'm tired of reading your posts (not because of what you say, but because you don't insert spaces between the paragraphs).

I think we are misunderstanding each other here. I have nothing against aikido - or you - in fact I think aikido - and probably you - is effective. I just get uncomfortable when people try to convince others here that nothing shy of a bullet can stop an aikidoist (unless you're an aikidoka like O-Sensei), especially if you are a student of abother MA (yuck). We know what aikido has to offer.

And yes, as you said, we train in a controlled environment and there's nothing fundamentally wrong with that, but it does contribute greatly to why some people "talk the talk without knowing if they can walk the walk" (I'd better stop the clichés before I get carried away).

Kudos to you if you train in/with another MA or if your approach to training is a little unconventional.

Peace, okay?

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false