View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 12:10 AM   #364
Pierre Rood
Netherlands
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Pierre, not sure I understand what you are getting at quoting Alan Rodriquez. Is it that people study martial arts for different reasons? I think certainly that is true, however, I think also that they need to consider why they are studying what they are studying, and what they hope to get out of it.

I certainly would not waste my time studying aikido if a solely wanted to learn police tactics, I'd spend my time studying police tactics. While aikido has many applicable techniques, and a particular aikido instructor may be the local expert in use of force, I think that trying to make aikido fit this type of training is a huge waste of a persons time. Again, if that is their sole focus.

Training should be tailored or geared to you particular goals. It is not a "one size fits all". Therefore, aikido, IMHO, cannot be everything to everyone...only what the founder and his original disiciples meant it to be as taught in its paraochial form.
Hi Kevin,

I used the quote and the example of people I train with to show Emma there are people who do Aikido for its fighting effectiveness. I hope to encourage her to find a good self defense in Aikido (other than getting out of a situation in time) and to challenge the non-believers with these very concrete example of fighters who like Aikido for the fighting side of the art.

The pre- and postwar sides of Aikido validate both the fighting and the peacefull side of it. I personally like the idea that it is possible to defend against real world attack with a kind of 'elfish' peacefull fighting system. But if no other possibility the 'elf' can become very angry and that will be effective because of some hard training.