View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 AM   #37
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Countering Ikkyo with Strength

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
I know what you mean. But I say, in the type of practice I showed, maybe you should try to break his finger. And I mean, snap it. And if you fall down, then yes, what he did must be worth learning. It's a different kind of practice. Not just holding. There are several kinds of training and you have to discern which is which and what useful purpose it serves.
I've experienced (recently even) and practiced this way. Really, once you get to a certain point and understanding in your training you can easily give someone your finger and invite them to break it.. and yes, really snap it.. and they will fall down instead. I've experienced it with my teacher, I've been able to do it. I haven't specifically done it with Ikeda sensei, but I would not be surprised at all if he could also execute such a thing.

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
I've just come from an all day long high school wrestling competition, so you might understnd where I'm coming from. Some of these boys have more dynamic aiki (really using their opponents FORCE, because the FORCE is real) than many Aikido sensei, in my opinion.
Perhaps. Despite some claims, knowledge of this type of stuff is hardly unique to aikido and I know of plenty of senior aikido instructors who can't handle this sort of thing. Or at least, who would not even try.

Regards,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."