View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #79
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: The Fear of Power

Quote:
Tom Verhoeven wrote: View Post
Taoism is not a philosophy of exerting power - rather the opposite.
Taoism does not exclude anything. It encompasses everything in its time and place.

Quote:
It explains how nature / the universe operates and we as human beings can be one with it. This does not include exerting power or a sense of struggle.
It includes everything that is part of nature. Sometimes struggle is necessary just to survive--even for such a mighty creature of nature as the whale.

Quote:
Going with the flow is the active principle. That means often being on the right place on the right time. Which we could see as a martial art strategy.
That could very well lead to a martial art that is seriously deadly, but it is not the basis of Taoist philosophy.
Taoism includes everything. And the taoist fighting arts were created by taoist priests--not amateurs with an interest in taoism. And taoist martial arts are lethal.

Quote:
Ueshiba himself pointed out that it was not necessary to do this in his way, as he assumed that everyone would experience this kind of spirituality in his own way or in his own religion. It is really not a fair statement to use this now as a proof that people have a great desire for power. Praying or not praying proves nothing.
But if one is not developing power, but spirituality...why copy the powerful martial side of the man, but discard his whole spiritual way? In fact, modern aikido and most in "the aikido community" have discarded both.

Quote:
Ever considered that your thinking may be upside down?
Mochizuki Sensei once told me, "Always look at everything backward," and I've always considered that one of the most important things he told me. So I look at everything frontward as well as backward and I think it's a lack in thoroughness to look at things only frontward.

Quote:
Your premise seems to start with people who want to become warrior, therefor need power...
There's where you misunderstand me. I don't say they need power because they want to become warriors. I say they simply need power even to live. Their bodies naturally acquire power as they live (unless they're pure couch potatoes) and when it comes to martial arts, there are naturally going to be very strong people involved, so the need for power only increases, even as the practice of martial arts increases power.

However, I do say that people are drawn to the martial arts power of aikido. Otherwise, why don't they go into yoga or become priests or spend hours each day in prayer? Typically, they don't. But they do spend a lot of time training in martial art techniques. So they must have been drawn to the power. Otherwise, they would be praying.

But you say that most people were attracted by the likes of Tissier and Seagal --neither of whom is known for prayer--so...they were drawn to power. And then aikido training and "the aikido community" teaches them to consciously "not want" power...which is to "not want" nature.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com