View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #50
Red Beetle
Dojo: Ithaca
United_States
Re: So I took a Judo class today...

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
Actually that description is pretty misleading. Traditional Japanese jiu jitsu does not hold up to Judo when it comes to actual combat due to the training methods. If you knew the history of kodokan Judo you would understand that Judo beat Jiu Jitsu is almost every challenge match. I would put Jiu Jitsu more in the catagory of Aikido.

The thing you do not understand about Judo is that the competition is what makes it combat effective not the opposite.
Fusen Ryu Jiu-jitsu wiped out the Kodokan.
Kano had to buy off the Fusen ryu clan to save face.
If you can't beat them, buy them.

When I say Jiu-jitsu I am referring to Gracie Jiu-jitsu, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Kosen Judo, or the old Fusen Ryu. When I am referring to all of the other traditional Japanese versions, then I use the spelling: ju-jutsu, ju-jitsu. My description, with this in mind, in my opinion, is fairly accurate.

Modern Olympic Judo is not combat ready, unless the practitioner is innovative enough to alter some of the techniques. Or, unless he has cross trained in Jiu-jitsu (note my spelling). I have known very good modern Judo players to get into fights and throw wild flurries of punches. When they were done fighting, I asked them, "why didn't you do any of your Judo?" The guy answered, "Because I was in a fight." I returned, "Yeah, go think about that."

Red Beetle.