View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Teachings and Trajectories

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Why do you think harmony of heaven and earth is about "blending and avoiding while throwing"?
This seems to be evident to you? To me it is not.

Why don't you think it is about uniting the lower and the upper danitian using "internal alchemy"?
Why don't you think it is about "hanging from heaven" and "rooting in earth"?
Why don't you think it is about connecting with he ki of heaven and the ki of earth?
Why don't you think it is about just opening and closing the spine?
To me these aspects and related phenomenons seem much more evident when thinking about harmony of heaven and earth.
Great points. I have practiced Chi gung since the 1970's. I have also competed in dynamic forms
of Tai Chi push hands at the Arnold Challenge. My last bouts when I was 55 years old, competing
against 20 and 30 year olds.

If your above definition is the foundation of Aikido, how long have these concepts been at the
forefront iin the teaching? Were they hidden? Only taught to one or two students? I have observed and began practice of aikido back in 1974 when Fred Levre was using our dojo in Ocean Beach, Ca.

Perhaps this is part of my original question. Teaching takes on many trajectories. Fred demonstrated a strong center of gravity. If he was practicing a form of internal nei gung, he kept silent about it.

But other guests at our dojo taught such things back then. The Aikido class didn't seem to join us during these seminars. I am not sure if this absence was normal back in the 1970's, but I know our Martial ecumenism was cutting edge for it's time.

Peace,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Parkerson : 06-10-2012 at 05:22 PM.