Thread: Shinto
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2002, 11:03 AM   #22
achilleus
Dojo: West End Aikikai
Eric,

nice point. although, my train of thought with respect to

"Has the American view of religion due to the dominance of Christianity taken anything from practicing Aikido?"

was leaning more towards 'no it hasn't' (with the exception of some christian variants which I don't always consider to be christian).

I would say that American secularism is the culprit - something which not only negatively effects christianity (and other religions) but disciplines like aikido, too.

I think you are right on about some things being culturally inseperable from each other. Shinto/Japan and aikido is an obvious example. Are there such analogous inseperable-cultural traits in the West?

I would hazard to guess them too subtle to pin down in our multi-sultural society (in america). Sitting in a room with 3 other people and discussing the saints of the early christian church you'll get:

person 1: 'why do you worship saints & not G-d'

person 2: shares with you a mutual sneer at person 1

person 3: an 'enlightened-humanist' who cynically denies the significance of such people.

If each of those people were aikidoka would they resond similarly to the respectful observances of the dojo?

Are aikidoka out there just going through the motions?

DA