View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
David Yap
Malaysia
Re: how much training before...

Quote:
Jess McDonald wrote:
Hello out there! How much training in Aikido should I have under my belt ( no pun intended) before I start formal training in like say Kenpo or BJJ? I think I have to much time on my hands. Thanks! Bye!
Hi Jess,

Depending on the individual, it will take a while to really understand the essence of the art. "A while" can be 2 years to 20 years depending on both your passion and the communicative and technical skills of your teacher. As the saying goes, "The teacher will appear when the student is ready".

I assume that your goal in "formal training" is to have competency (both knowledge & skill) in the art. I have come across many window-dressed CVs of "masters" who have just about 1 month-1 year training in this MA or that MA. Dabbling into a MA & mastery of MA are the opposite points of the path.

On the contrary, I know of a 5th karate instructor who had some success in kumite and kata competitions both in the UK and in the US. He had about 20 years under his karate belt. After starting formal training in BJJ, he said that karate does not work in a fight. He removed karate from the curriculum in his own SD gym/dojo and invited the best BJJ instructors to instruct him and his students (now his ex-karate students). In this sense, he was prepared to throw the baby out with the bath water. Some of you might see that there is no commercial sense to do what he did but indeed there is. For a high rank and experienced karateka to say that karate does not work, it is absolutely credible and I won't even question him.

Just my 2 sen.

David Y