View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
DH
United_States
Re: New interview with Christian Tissier Shihan (in English!)

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
Dan,

I just wanted to see if I was reading you correctly.

Thanks,
Allen

(BTW, I appreciated this morning's post to Rob on the the other thread. It seemed well thought out and even handed.)
Your welcome
Actually you could write a book on the topic of Ukemi and the facts and effects of realism in training within a live or fixed environment. And contrary to many opinions I don't think it is fully or even substantially understood by most martial artists. Add in this type of power and it increases the puzzle as the uses of power are more complex than may be seen or covered in a basic venue. There are of course things you learn to do, but then you can add years of pursuing power in various environments that some folks may not have explored or are not interested in. Where the various paths meet or overlap is interesting as well.

The other post on the training forum -freeform bokken for aiki flow- is for a few guys pondering where this stuff all fits in. Some still doubt it has any value in a live environment outside of Aikido. They are simply wrong, Rob's post posited some interesting comparisons, so I thought I'd explain and demonstrate what this type of power can do outside of a "basics" seminar if one were predisposed to some comparisons. I've done it before with a room full of guys, but not with Rob. He is very inquisitive and a thinker as well.