View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 01:45 AM   #1059
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
wrote: View Post
and it is clear to me that Aikido and it's techniques and it's way of training do not prepare anyone to actually fight.

I know that Aikido practitioners talk a lot about concepts like spirituality, harmony...etc. but I also hear people talk about how it is a pratical means of self defense.

Aikido does not have practical striking techniques or any REAL matwork at all. I would like to know how Aikido can be used as self defense if you cannot grapple or strike.
- As far as not preparing the to fight, it depends on perspective.
Most people want to be cool and show they are better by putting the other down. - we do this not only in physical fights but in words as well. Its an old mentality, but one that can change...is there a need to fight. - for me it is helping me (that is Aikido) to better understand to not need to fight. Having peace inside will attract peace outside. See this prepares for the fight in that it ended before it even started, pretty good self-defense if you ask me.

But as for satisfying the ego (ones identity in an object, role, story, etc) its a bummer. Because in the 'mind' the story is 'Ha, Im still better...if you would just fight I would beat you.'

See the story equates beating someone in a pulp as victory and does not understand that controll over ones actions and attitude is more of a victory and less of 'animal' extinct and yet another step in evolution. Dont feel bad if you or anyone has that desire to prove oneself...heck I still face that temptation at times to prove myself...but then I ask myself why I really want to.

So that answers the first 2 questions quoted above.

As far as its techniques not working...well, let me put it this way.
When I am put in 'ikkyo' I feel it...Nikkyo, sankyo, name it, I feel it - and sometimes I feel it a little to much.

Also, you learn to go with the flow or you will be 'broke' if you resist.
Thats why it looks fake, because someone who has wised up (or been taught as in Aikido) will know to 'follow' as not to resist and have your wrist or elbow snapped in half.

True that the uke appear to overdue it at times...but thats neither here nor there - or rather it does not detract from the fact that there is pain that can be inflicted.

Now is it practical in a fight? I think it depends on the circumstance completely. If you are going against a skilled fighter...you probably will need to be skilled as well, or your responses wont be quick enough or accurate enough.

Also about strikes, many of the movements allow you to strike...and we practice fake striking, as Im sure the uke doesnt want a bloody nose each time we practice. So yes that part is fake. But if you want to be bad boy, strike and kick and during your aikido moves...the opportunity will present itself. - Fact is there is not a martial art above another...and this is also not great for the ego who wants to have the 'best' and be the 'best' by kicking and putting down the most people. And again, the nature of Aikido is not really in that direction, but again, I suppose it can be.

I do like the fact that Im not using my body as a human shield to protect myself, and trying to follow what nature is doing by flowing with what is happening.

Anyway...

Peace

Dalen