View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #1055
Pougee
Australia
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

After reading nearly all 43 pages of this thread, it is apparent that some people are worried about the art they are learning. At the moment I am not learning Aikido, but I'm very keen to give it a try. You have to ask yourself why you want to do it. It would seem Aikido is more than just a self defensive art. Its a way of life, a different view on things helping you to become a better person. I myself am an open minded person. I believe that the Ki is real, and that these old forms, spiritually can achieve what they state. But I am questioning myself why do I want to learn Aikido and what do I want to get out of it. And to be perfectly honest I want the knoweledge that If I'm ever in a situation where I have to protect myself or others I want to be able to do it confidently. I have also have some damage done to me awhile back now which has never fully healed. Its has caused me to have no balance and little coordination in some aspects. Can I look towards Aikido to improve the way my body moves. I play a lot of squash also. I dont know if anyone has every seen it played or played it themselves. I just get the felling Aikido would improve my game with reaction times, short thinking into shot play and all round movement on the court. Also another big factor of squash, being more aware of your opponent.

After reading this thread It is obvious that Aikido is very effective in self defense. And that learning BJJ with Aikido do really go hand in hand. I know this is sort of off topic, but this thread has evolved into something more than the simple question "Does Aikido work in fights". I hope some people maybe be able to shed some light onto my view on things.

Also is a massive thread that needs to be revived