View Single Post
Old 08-18-2002, 01:23 PM   #6
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
I train with about four "dojos" depending on how you look at it.

I don't know if I would recommend this to a beginner since you have so much to learn in the beginning, and there are so many methodologies for teaching that you could struggle just trying to figure out basics.

From most of the "newbie" type post that you see in these forums, most people struggle with just trying to figure out some real simple things in one dojo!

That said, I decided that in order for me to grow that I need to expose myself to several people that I consider to be good in many respects.

I do have a "home" dojo where I and pay my monthly dues. I conider the sensei at that school my sensei for aikido.

I have the fortune as do all of us in Northern VA to be associated with Saotome's home dojo, so I go there when I can to work with others and to be exposed to different teachers and students. It is a great experience. I simply pay a mat fee when I go there.

I study Karate with a sensei a couple of hours away. It was my first dojo and I have been studying there for about 10 years, and continue to do so to not only sharpen my skills and hone them, but to introduce new paradigms via what I am learning in aikido to them.

I also have found another sensei that my karate sensei studies aikido with, when I can I plan on spending more time with him.

It is lots of fun and keeps me on my toes and challenged.

I do recommend though that you pick one place to call home and spend most of your time there studying. I have seen people "float" around and never commit to a dojo. Sort of like all those people in college that could never choose a major and seemed to "audit" the courses cause they had fun!

to each is own, but you'd be better to pick a home to progress and develop in!