View Single Post
Old 08-18-2002, 08:01 AM   #4
Kevin Wilbanks
It could end up being confusing. I trained at a dojo where there were multiple teachers with differing opinions and styles under one roof. I heard some beginners complain that they were not receiving consistent feedback on how to do the basic techniques, and had to juggle multiple methods. I can see their POV. Even after a few years, I found the diversity frustrating - especially when trying to prepare for a test. In this situation, at least they knew each other, and there was an above-board way to get a final opinion about confilicting information from the head sensei.

I think a lot would depend on the compatibility of the styles of the 2 dojo, and how open people at each place would be to differences you might develop elsewhere. If the styles are quite different, you might be faced with having to learn two 'versions' of many techniques and keeping straight which one to use where, which might bog you down. In this case, the confusion might not be worth the trouble, and you might be better off adding training in another art which won't directly interfere, but might still be beneficial for learning sensitivity, body control, etc... like BJJ or Tai Chi.

The only real way to find out is to try it for a while and see what happens.