View Single Post
Old 08-18-2002, 06:28 AM   #3
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Two dojos/Training time

Quote:
Eugene Juzek wrote:
Also, what's everyone's opinion on training in two Aikido dojos? I would think there could be a lot to be gained this way..
Some people recommend it, some don't, some recommend it, but not until you've been training for some period of time. Me, I think it depends on the person - some people do better with a mixed environment and some people don't.

I train at 3 different dojo, and their styles vary greatly. At one of the dojo where I train there is a person who recently got passed his 4th dan. From the very beginning he's always been with the same instructor in the same style. He has clean, consistent technique, very reliable. I often have trouble with consistency, but with my background I can often pull something out of my hat that he can't. He often comments about how much he envies the kind of training I've had and the flexibility that it produces - I often feel the same way about the consistency that his training has produced. In the end, I think that you can't cover all the bases, you have to choose a method that suits you try to develop it to the best of your ability.
Quote:
Eugene Juzek wrote:
If it's an acceptable idea, what is the etiquette regarding this? Should one be open about it with one's Senseis, or might they take offense?
I think that it's not their training, it's yours. If they don't like it then, well, they don't like it. You have to decide whether or not you'll let that rule your decision. To be honest, I've never had a problem cross-training in Japan, but a lot of people in the US seemed uncomfortable with it. I'd be upfront with it if asked, but if it's a problem there's really no need to volunteer information that is none of their business.

Best,

Chris