View Single Post
Old 08-18-2002, 03:40 AM   #2
MaylandL
Re: Two dojos/Training time

Quote:
Eugene Juzek wrote:
...Would more time be beneficial? Even for a beginner?

Also, what's everyone's opinion on training in two Aikido dojos? I would think there could be a lot to be gained this way..

If it's an acceptable idea, what is the etiquette regarding this? Should one be open about it with one's Senseis, or might they take offense?

... Advice, however, would be appreciated! ...
Hello Eugene

I'm not sure that I can give you some specific advice. I can give you what I did and hopefully that might trigger some ideas and things that you might want to consider.

I currently train at two dojos with the blessing of Sensei - both in aikikai. Currently 4 sessions a week. He encourages his students to seek out other dojos to get a wide range of experience.

When I started aikido I trained with one dojo in the beginning for a couple of year. After I got used to the movements and some basic technique I tried other dojos that had a similar style of teaching and aikido. Also, those few initial years gave me a clearer understanding about what I wanted to achieve out of aikido so that I could chose compatible and complimentary dojos.

As for the etiquette, I asked the senior students in the first dojo if they trained in other dojos and also asked sensei if he could recommend other Senseis that I might be able to train with. I raised the discussion with Sensei and Sempais on the basis that I was very happy with the instruction and that I wanted to increase my training. Also that I was very interested in aikido and wanted to learn more.

Hope this helps.

Mayland