View Single Post
Old 02-06-2002, 07:40 PM   #4
Brian Crowley
Quote:
Being able to hypnotize someone, I do take it as a form of Ki.
I agree it requires some talent and considerable skill to put on shows like these.

Quote:
The person is able to push his/her will to another is quite a feat.
Of course the other has to be somewhat open to the suggestions and have sufficient trust in the perpetrator to accept the suggestions.

Quote:
Now if everybody could do this, then it is nothing.
I think almost anyone could be taught to do these tricks to some extent. Not everyone of course, but probably more than we would like to think. Don't you think you could get some proficiency at this kind of routine if you practised for a few years ?

Quote:
Now denying that it is hypnotism and that it is purely because of excellent proficiency in his technique is dishonorable
Unfortunately this is exactly what does happen in a martial arts context. The claims are always that the practioner can manipulate energy, or some such BS. And of course, if you study for 30 years under such a master you too might be able to tap into some of these powers. The Bad Budo site that I posted this from shows several of these con-men. In my opinion, it is not just dishonorable, it is abusive, deceitful and dangerous.

These people should be held in the same regard as good pick-pockets. You have to admire the skills they have developed, but remember that the bottom line is that they are thieves. In fact, I think I like the pick-pocket better since he only takes your money once & doesn't try to create a disciple out of you !

Brian