View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #46
Hareksu
Re: more basis for conceptual integration of linear and spiral?

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Hello, "Iskander":

That's in agreement with what I said.

Well, you're introducing the undefined term "internal" into the discussion. Can you tell us what makes a force "internal" or not, in the way that you're using it?
Yeah, I brought that on myself, eh... Well, call it connected whole body force driven by some form of shenfa. Don't want to exclude any interesting mechanisms out of 'big 3' puritanism. Not really relevant to the discussion though...

Quote:
OK, could you clarify your assertion about how you transfer forces? The original question was only about whether there is a linear force from the dantien to the opponent.
First of all, you add force vectors, you get a force vectors, and vectors are by definition linear. So the entire 'linear force' schtick is both as true as 1=1, and equally useless. Secondly, when resisting a push, if the forces along the path through the body are uniformly distributed, the summed force between dantian and hand will coincide with a line between them. But this goes for any point along the path, be it the foot or the shoulder, so that's not what makes dantian special. Also, since the body is not uniform (chain of hinges remember), uniform distribution is only an approximation, something to strive for. Finally, there is no guarantee that equally distributed force is the only solution leading to this dantian-hand force vector, probably plenty of ways of doing it wrong using local force. Which is what I said to you earlier, and probably (though I won't speak for him) what Dan's saying in his criticism of your "just relax" admonition. Too vague, too many ways of doing it wrong while deluding yourself you're doing it right.

Regarding spirals, I'm sure you're capable of finding spirals in human movement (after all, you've mentioned them yourself), but they're not really relevant to the scope of my point.

Quote:
P.S. BTW.... why don't you clarify for people your relationship to me over the years?
Aaaaaaand now he gets personal... Why do I bother?
My relationship to you? Why, I'm your arch-nemesis obviously, twirling my mustache while plotting your downfall in the shadows, jealously scheming to steal your 733+ skillz and cursing you each time you escape my evil machinations! You know, like everyone else you've ever encountered
Oh, and by the way, if you're trying to be clever about internet nicknames, try and get the spelling right...